Excalibur Academies Trust (EAT)

Special Educational Needs (SEN) Information Record – updated September 2019

The Ethos of Excalibur Academies Trust is one which values the individuality of every student. To this end, the staff and Governors are committed to a SEND policy which seeks to meet the individual needs of each student, particularly by developing and reinforcing self-esteem and by encouraging a positive attitude to life. Each student is helped to achieve a feeling of success in some aspect of school life and every effort is made to instil a sense of pride in self and work.


We recognise that many of the learning difficulties of students should not be a barrier and can be overcome, so students with special educational needs are given the opportunity to benefit as fully as possible from a challenging education in a positive, inclusive environment.


How does each EAT academy know if my child needs extra help?

Children with every type of need are supported in our academies and we make our best efforts to ensure that every child or young person makes good progress and is well prepared for the next stage in their education. As soon as we know they are definitely attending our academy we start finding out more about them so we can plan for their needs and ensure that they settle into school happily and make good progress. Whilst on roll in our academies, we identify needs by:

  • Listening to our children and young people
  • Acting on concerns raised by Teachers/TAs/Parents
  • Carrying out assessments, reviewing marking and giving feedback;  checking Milestones/Progress measures
  • Raising concerns which are discussed at SEND surgeries/parent meetings
  • Testing/screening/ Using WGRSS(Wiltshire Graduated Response to SEND Support) to check criteria for support
  • Applying a graduated response – assess, plan, do, review
  • Contacting other agencies if necessary

What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need or disability?

Contact teacher or tutor in the first instance who will then co-ordinate with the SENCo/Head of Special Educational Needs (SEN) to arrange a meeting to discuss concerns and plan a way forward



How will I know how EAT supports my child?


How will I know how my child is doing?


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

We try to work closely with all our parents to ensure that all children are happy and make progress. Working in partnership with parents of children with Additional SEND is even more important so we:

  • Communicate regularly through review meetings / SEN surgeries (additional to the usual Parent Teacher meetings)
  • Have an open door policy so regular discussions on progress and next steps can be held
  • Book regular Parents’ evenings to feedback on progress and attainment as well as learning issues that may arise
  • Write an Annual report which outlines attitude to learning, progress made and attainment compared to national expectations
  • Provide parents with a copy of the desired outcomes or My plan agreed for their child and the strategies and interventions set up in school to help achieve them
  • Hold annual reviews for any child/young person with a Statutory My Plan (Education Health Care Plan)

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of all children in their class including where the child accesses support from teaching assistants or specialist staff.

  • Teachers will deliver high quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised so that the individual needs are met.
  • Teachers will plan lessons to ensure there are no barriers to every pupil achieving.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support every child individually and in groups.
  • Teachers will use appropriate assessments to set outcomes which are challenging yet achievable.
  • Teachers will give children choice and control

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

Parents will support their child at home in order to work in partnership with the school. The following opportunities will be given for parents to enhance learning at home. For example in our academies we can:

  • Provide information about their child’s specific needs
  • Set up Family learning sessions for phonics, maths, emotional literacy support, curriculum evenings
  • Distribute termly Curriculum newsletters
  • Give parents access to resources from school to use at home eg laptops with specific programmes, online learning opportunities, website links, reading and phonics packs on entry to school
  • Give access to individual support to further parents’ knowledge and understanding of teaching methods where necessary and appropriate
  • Give advice on how to support children further at home through our parents’ evenings and individual meetings teachers will
  • Ensure Parents receive agency reports which often include support material for home use
  • Offer Parents opportunities to attend cluster workshops on specific areas of need



What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The academy trust promotes a positive behaviour ethos as outlined in our Behaviour, Inclusion and Discipline Policies. We also:

·         Teach children strategies to help them socially and emotionally through our creative curriculum and specific intervention groups: ELSA, social skills, meditation,nurture groups

·         Offer opportunities for children to participate in after school enrichment activities.

·         Give all children equal opportunities to participate in all activities via pupil premium funding and bursaries.

·         Offer mentoring by TAs, trained support staff and older students, where appropriate


Communication and interaction

Cognition and learning

Social, mental and emotional health

Sensory and/or physical

What specialist services and expertise are available at or can be accessed by the school?

  • Speech and Language Therapy Team
  • Behaviour Support
  • Education Psychologist
  • Specialist teacher
  • Paediatrician


  • LA SEND team
  • Marlborough and District Dyslexia Association
  • Paediatrician
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Counsellor
  • School nurse
  • Social Care
  • Paediatrician
  • Visual Impairment services
  • Hearing Impairment Services
  • Mobility Support
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physical Therapist
  • Riding for Disabled
  • Paediatrician

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with

SEND had? (Or what are they having?)

  • ELSA


  • Sound Discovery
  • WESforD
  • Working memory
  • Corrective Reading
  • Corrective Maths
  • ELSA
  • Nurture groups
  • Meditation/mindfulness
  • Boxall Profile
  • Team Teach Physical Restraint
  • De-escalation strategies
  • Arrhythmia

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all see Inclusion Policy.

Risk assessments and procedures are in place to enable all children to participate in school activities and events.

If it is deemed that a child needs one to one support, then resources and appropriate provision will be allocated.

How accessible is the school environment?

EAT has a disability and accessibility plan in each academy – the physical environment varies and it is advised that parents discuss with the SENCo the needs for their child within the school.



How will the school prepare and support my child when joining

EAT School or transferring to a new school or post-16 provision?

Before any child moves to any of our schools we try and find out as much about them as possible to help them settle in quickly. We have close links with our feeder pre-schools in the case of Primary academies, and with our feeder primaries in the case of St John’s.

All our new children have the opportunity to come and visit the school and spend a short time in their new class/tutor group so they know the expectations, can be allocated a buddy/mentor and understands the procedures and school routines.

Once we know a child has Additional SEN we will meet with parents to decide on the desired outcomes we will all be working towards and develop a plan to support each child to achieve these outcomes. A copy of this plan will be shared with parents as soon as possible after the meeting. If needed, some plans may detail a transition plan to help a child settle into the school easily and happily.

If appropriate a one page profile can be drawn up to communicate to staff exactly how to help the child and explain what we are all working on.


Whenever a child moves to another school we always pass on the school records to the new school.

If a child has Additional SEN we also:

  • Pass on Additional SEN records to the new school including Support Plans or Statutory My Plans and one page profiles
  • Liaise with the SENCo/headteacher or class teacher of the new school to clarify any information necessary
  • If needed we can include ways to support a child to have a settled move to a new school or do transition work in preparation for move; maps or photographs of the new school or working on a new one page profile
  • Both settings are invited to transition reviews of a child with a Statutory My Plan and a transition plan is established as part of this meeting

How are each academy’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?


How is the decision made about how much/what support my child will receive?

All academy trust schools have a delegated budget for children with Additional SEN and this is used for providing effective provision for individual children. The SENCo will work to allocate resources and deploy members of staff according to need. The resources will be reviewed and evaluated during review meetings and modified to ensure the effective support is maintained to maximise the learning and progress for individuals.


The Head of SEND/SENCo will apply for additional funding to support children with complex needs through statutory assessment or the annual review meeting.


Tracking progress on a regular basis will ensure the provision matches the need.

Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs please contact:


Sarah Cardy – Head of SEND for Excalibur Academies Trust 01672 518899


Individual school SENCo


For further information for SEN in Wiltshire go to

May Park Primary SEND Local Offer

What is the SEND Local Offer?

The government has listened to what parents say their experience of services is like and have put in place a number of things to bring about improvements. One of these is the ‘Local Offer’. In 2012 the former Children’s Minister Sarah Teather explained that:

“The current system is outdated and not fit for purpose. Thousands of families have had to battle for months, even years, with different agencies to get the specialist care their children need. It is unacceptable they are forced to go from pillar to post, facing agonising delays and bureaucracy to get support, therapy and equipment”.

“It is a huge step forward to require health, education and care services work together. The reforms will give parents better information and a comprehensive package of support that meets their needs”.

Local authorities and other services will set out a local offer of all services available to support children who are disabled or who have SEND and their families. The local offer will enable families to understand what services they can access and what support they can expect from a range of local agencies, including from the local authority, health services, schools, leisure services and the voluntary sector. The offer will include provision from birth to 25, across education, health and social care.

Bristol’s local offer can be found at:


It provides information on what services children, young people and their families can expect from a range of local agencies, including education, health and social care

Parents may also like to contact Parent Support Service at:

Supportive Parents for Special Children


3rd Floor, Royal Oak House,

Royal Oak Avenue, Bristol BS1 4GB.



Who should I talk to about my child’s learning or Special Educational Need or Disability need?


Ms Vanetta Spence

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND
  • She will give responsibility to the SENDCO and class teachers
  • Informing governors about SEND


The SEND Governor for May Park Primary is Jenny Patterson

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND


Ms Sam Williams 

contactable on: 0117 903 0075 

Responsible for:

  • Leading all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that parents/carers are:
  • involved in supporting learning
  • kept informed about the support children are getting
  • involved in reviewing progress
  • Liaising with all agencies that may support children’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of children’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of each child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENDCO  know as necessary.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP), Behaviour Improvement Plans (BIP) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term
  • Ensuring that all staff working with children in school are supported to deliver the planned work/programme so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.



How are children with SEND supported at May Park Primary?

  1. Class teacher and Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

  1. Specific group work within a smaller group of children:

Intervention Groups

  • Run in the classroom or specific designated spaces that are appropriate for the intervention
  • Run by a teacher or most often a learning support assistant who has had training to run these groups.
  1. Stage of SEN Code of Practice: School Support

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Learning Support Assistant/teacher or outside professional will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan
  • Support is less than 20 hours/week

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning

  1. Stage of SEN Code of Practice: School Action Plus

For children identified by the class teacher/SENDCO as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Bridge Foundation
  • Speech and Language Therapy Service
  • Autistic Spectrum Outreach Team
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • Paediatrician Service
  • Occupational Therapy Service
  • Diabetes Nursing Service
  • Learning Improvement Team
  • Behaviour Support Team
  • Ethnic Minority Inclusion and Assessment Team
  • Social Care
  • Sensory Support Service

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCO as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

o    Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

o    Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise

o    A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group

o    A group or individual work with outside professional

  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agree individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups and is for less than 20 hours/week

  1. Education, Health and Care Plan

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional/s outside the school.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school and/or parent/carer can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority, they will decide whether they think your child’s are complex enough to need an EHC Plan assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at a school level.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEND support level and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong
  • Need more than 20 hours of support in school


How is progress of SEND children measured at May Park Primary?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by the class teacher.
  • Progress is reviewed informally every day and formally every term
  • ‘P levels’ can be used to measure progress that is below year 1 expectations
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Children at School support will have a provision plan which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENDCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.


How does May Park support parents/carers of a child with SEND?

  • The class teacher is available on a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The  is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Provision Plans are reviewed with your involvement each term.
  • Homework is adjusted as needed to suit your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

How are transitions to new classes and schools supported at May Park Primary?

  • If a child has an EHC plan or significant SEN, preparation for transfer to secondary school begins in year 5. Parents / carers are encouraged to visit settings and produce a short list. The Learning Mentor supports the process. The chosen school is invited to the year 6 annual review.
  • When a placement has been agreed a transition plan is formulated on an individual basis. This includes extra visits to the setting to meet with key staff.
  • When moving classes, information is passed on to the new class teacher. All IEP’s are shared with the new teacher. All children have two full transition days with their new class teacher, their learning support in their new classroom. Some children have additional transition support.
  • If your child is moving child to another school we will contact the school SENCO and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. All records will be passed on securely.

How are teachers and staff supported and trained to work with children with SEND?

  • The class teacher will be supported by the SENDCO with planning for SEND
  • SENDCO devise will training for staff. Training is either for all staff, groups or individuals and is specific to the needs of the pupils in school.
  • Training is supported by outside agencies through traded for schools services

How is May Park Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • May Park Primary is on a large site that comprises of multiple buildings, a MUGA, a woodland, conservation area and playgrounds. It is a mixture of new and re furbished buildings. The classrooms are all accessible by wheelchair and there are disabled toilet facilities spaced around the school.
  • The new building is two storeys and has a fit for purpose lift
  • There is a purpose built path that connects the refurbished and new buildings
  • Acoustically the new build is good for children with hearing impairments. We take advice from the Hearing Improvement Team regarding seating positions of the children and any other reasonable adjustments they suggest.
  • Equipment to support children is often purchased directly by the school. In the case of a large piece of equipment e.g. a hoist, needed for a particular length of time, we would look to hire or loan it.
  • We use school staff or where necessary the Bristol Translation Service for meetings and parents evenings where we need support in communicating and collecting parent’s points of view.
  • Breakfast club and extra-curricular activities are accessible to children with SEND
  • Educational Visits and activities are accessible for all learners. Ratios of staff to children are adjusted to make this possible. Parents of children with specific disabilities or medical needs are consulted in the planning stages and an individual risk assessment is carried out if needed.